Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Blog 3..... Guys get all the glory and girls get named....

the movie was very inspiring to me. Prior to enrolling in this class I had been taught very little about women's suffrage. I mean yes we do learn about it in our high school history classes but the subject was very lightly touched on. I cant help but wonder if the reason behind students not being properly taught about women's suffrage has anything to do with American school systems basic curriculum. Is it not required to study women's suffrage just a little more in depth? Or is it not as important as some of the other historic events? I was aware that women had little to no rights but the movie helped me to visualize just how awful women's lives really were. The women fighting for simple things such as the right to vote were spit on , beaten, and imprisoned for their beliefs. Simply because they were women!! My mind is having problems fathoming how someone could actually believe that they are better than someone else based on their gender. I have grown up in a time where women are better recognized as capable human beings and I have been afforded many more opportunities than the women of the past.Being a feminist in those days was dangerous in my mind. People ridiculed feminists. Even in today's society the word feminist scares some people. I personally think this stems from a lack of education on the subject. I have learned that by being a feminist, I'm not so man hating, hairy, bitchy woman. I by being a feminist simply want equal opportunities for men and women.

No comments:

Post a Comment